Monday, August 23, 2010

Around Pt. Pinos

Someone folks in my club organized a trip around Pt. Pinos (southern point of Monterey Bay). 11 of us ended up going for what turned out to be an entirely civilized trip. Actually it was perhaps the lowest key paddle I've ever been on.

I am never, ever, up front in any group I paddle with. I don't know why but I always seem to lag a bit and am generally the slowest. Yesterday though I was up front pretty much the entire time on the water. So, as I say, low key. Everyone was just cruising gently along seemingly without too much interest in anything but being on the water.

Predicted winds of something like 20 - 25 kts (depending on which forecast you read) totally didn't happen. It was certainly less than 10, maybe 7 or so. Swell was also a really low key 3's, with some occasional 5's. We only went probably 9 miles or so total with a lunch break in the middle.

Hey, here's some pictures:


Normal confusion at the put in.  There were 4 Romanys, a record for us I think. Sorry for the splotch in the middle.


Grouping up right off the beach. Kelp, kelp, kelp. Terribly annoying stuff. Notice though the blue skys and the fog in the distance.


And here we are in the fog in the distance. Those rocks right there are Pt. Pinos by the way.


This is a crappy picture but this is us heading for a beach for lunch. The beach is right on the 17 mile drive and we were, I dunno, half a mile off shore. See that building in the distance there? The one that looks like a hotel or a resort or something? It's a house. A single family residence. The place is full of that sort of ostentation. Oh yah, fogs gone. See?


Our lunch beach. More of those houses in the background. Nice beach though. Someone said it was called Dead Man's Beach or Death Beach or something like that. I think they might have been joking though.


Inside the kelp line about a mile or so off shore. That big assed building there on the right? The one that looks like a resort? It is a resort. The whole line of buildings is. It's called the Inn at Spanish Bay or something like that. Excellent scotch menu.

That's it.

No comments:

Post a Comment