Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Just one last piece of gear

I don't think there is much that I enjoy more than being on the water. Paddling. I prefer going from place to place, covering miles, rather than, say, playing in a race or surfing but pretty much any paddling is better than pretty much anything else.

That said I am getting sick of moving my boat. It's a Romany so about 16 feet long. Which is short in the grand scheme of things I know. And it's a glass boat so it's probably a little lighter than a plastic boat of the same dimensions. But still, getting it on the car to get to the put in, taking it off, putting it back on, and taking it off one more time for a day of paddling is pretty tedious. Since I paddle mostly by myself (another story) it's also a touch uncomfortable. Essentially I take 54lbs, concentrate it into an area about 2 inches wide and, I dunno, 4 inches long and hang it on my shoulder. You know. And then it's just the unweildyness (<- made up word) of the damn thing. Take 8 feet of anything and put it in front and in back of you and of course you're going to bump a few things.

Generally I have really good equipment. Kokatat drysuit and PFD, Werner paddles, etc. Indeed, having good equipment is part of my nervous-on-the-water mantra (also another story). But for this, moving my boat around, I have basically me. Like I guess most sea paddlers I'm not exactly young, which means I'm probably moving further from being good equipment into more well loved equipment territory. And so I think I need an upgrade in the boat moving equipment department. 

I've looked around and can't really find anything that I like. There's the hullivator things, but they take up too much room on the roof of my car to be practical. Even if I did want one that really only solves half the problem. I'd have to get something like a set of wheels. But those look like a giant pain in the ass. First off I think I'd have to get the ones with the giant balloon wheels so I can get across a beach if need bet. Second, storing them would really annoying once I got to the water. Third I still have to tie the boat onto the wheels, which means straps and stuff, and I'm sort of sick of my straps too.

So, having scanned current market offerings, and on the off chance someone is reading this, here's basically what I think would do the job.


That's a gnome and I think a couple of them would be ideal for what I'm talking about. Maybe three. They're about 3 feet tall but are, according to some sources, 7 times stronger than a human (look it up). Which is awesome because they'd be really easy to store and could easily pick up my boat, maybe even if it was fully loaded. Now the one pictured is clearly prototypical. It's not wearing waterproof boots or anything, so that would have to be changed. I don't think it would need a dry or wet suit because, really, I just want help when I'm on land, so that would tend to keep cost of manufacture/whatever down. And possibly it could do other things besides tote my boat, like maybe take out the garbage or drive my kids to school or something.

Anyway, if you're in the paddle sport accessory biz, think about it. I'll convey any rights you'd like for my idea here. After all I'm not interested in money, I'm just interested in a better overall paddling experience.

1 comment:

  1. As my third cart i have bought a c tug cart and am really glad I spent the money on it. About a year ago I built my first cart for a heavy sit on top and then I bought a used one and now I'm really glad to have the best cart on just the third try. I have a friend who is on her 5th cart and likes the C tug best.

    As far as the car I have a station wagon and slide the boats off the back onto the cart or the grass or a towel. If you haven't tried a cart borrow one for a month and see if it doesn't convert you.

    Often I still carry the boats down and to a close launch, but almost always use the cart at the end of the day.

    ReplyDelete